SOUTH POLE 1911-2011
From 25 October 2011 to 15 January 2012
Find us on Facebook
07 December 2011

Hours of Journey: 9h45' - Accumulative: 191h30
Km./Day: 25,4 - Accumulative: 381,8Km. Remaining to the South Pole: 763,2Km.
Days of progress: 23 (19 Solo) - Inactive Days: 15 (0 Solo) - Total Days: 38

Energy is back (for the moment) and surface is getting better. The first five hours were constantly changing between hard and soft zones, but the sun has been predominating for the last 4h15 so I would go better, and I even beat my own daily record: 25.4 km total. Now I am tired but up for it... I hope my body doesn't make me pay tomorrow the efforts made today and I don't get yesterday's sensations.

Yesterday we stopped at the time I normally go to sleep. Today I'll continue to explain how life here is from the morning until I put back my skis on.


My "POLAR RS800CX" watch, which I received from a technical sponsor, is a great machine for training and practice all kinds of sports, but it has a problem: it never fails from ringing its alarm at 5h50 a.m.!

That's the hardest moment of the day: to wake up! Inside of my great feather sleeping bag I feel warm, and we are always under 0° Celsius in the morning and if you think of what you have to go through during the day, and that you hear how the wind hits the tent, you don't feel like going outside and would prefer a huge storm so you have to stay in with a clean consciousness because you couldn't do anything else. The fact is that it is very important to be in time to wake up, because with the marching hours plus all tasks related to install and taking down the tent, I don't have any spare time.

Normally I give myself time to think about it until 06:15 - 06:20 a.m. Then, I push a little and I start the day, ready to fight again. The first thing to do is to get warm and the second thing is to get out all things that I have slept with inside the sleeping bag. Yesterday I forgot to explain if there is anything I don't want to get frozen, I have to put it inside the sleeping bag with me. This way, I sleep with the buff, the face mask, globes, socks, the undershirt, a bottle full of water, all batteries, camera and GPS... can you imagine it?

Then, I light the fire to melt snow and warm up the tent. I must say that this is not a good thing to do; it is even dangerous to light a fire inside the tent, and everyone knows this must not be done, it's even marked in all tents of the word... but it's necessary to heat up a little bit the inside and to be able to live some hours without freezing, and to dry things that are humid, if not frozen such us globes, buff, socks, etc.

As I melt snow, I prepare myself some breakfast. Normally it consists in a piece of jerk beef and cheese I kept since the night before and cookies and a jar of milk (powder) with cocoa or coffee. I finish by filling the 2 bottles I have with energetic powder Power Bar (1.5 liters among the two), and a 1.5 l thermos, where I put some tea and sugar.

From then, I get dressed for the battle and I pick up the stuff inside the tent, rearranging everything in the same place, something key if I want to have everything at reach as soon as any possible need occurs.

Everything is almost ready to get it out of the tent and on the sledge around 07:45 and 8 a.m. Then, a crucial moment of the day arrives: the call of nature. It is important to be well regulated at this matter and to be able to go to the toilet always at the same time, because believe me, it is one of the most delicate tasks here. It is fundamental to do it quick because the way of going to the toilet without putting down your pants has not been created yet, and it's delicate because of the low temperatures. It is complicated if one of your fingers get frozen, could you imagine the tragedy of getting the very personal male part between the legs frozen? So, I prepare myself as if I was to do something of high safety matters with a chronometer: pants only with the Velcro still on, toilet paper in the pocket of the jacket, and the pocket open... I'm on my way. I try to get out without the cap, the sun glasses and all... I even get out without globes, it takes less time and I work better. Normally it works out fine, because my body can be regulated easily in this matter, and luckily because it would be a nightmare to have to get up at night to go to the toilet or to have to do it during the marching hours.

Once I finish, I get back in the tent and I finish organizing everything and taking out all things. I put everything on the sledge as best as I can and I take the tent down. This operation of preparing the sledge and dismounting the tent can take between 20 and 40 minutes, depending on the wind.

It's around 08:30 and 9 a.m. and from then, everything is set to take off for about 9 hours walking on the snow until I get to the next point where I will start to install the tent once again and to do over each of the task I tried to describe between yesterday and today... and it's been like this for 19 days since I am alone, 38 total, and there are at least another 30 to go... That's life in the Antarctic dear friends!


Each and every one of you who has finished reading my posts from yesterday and today until the very end. I know I talk too much, but you must understand that I spend all day long walking alone, which makes me think a lot... and in fact I repress a lot, because I always have lots of things to write for the web, but then I stop because it might be heavy.

That is why I put a line between the small explanation of the day and the rest of the subjects. So, if you just want to follow my stage, you know where you have to stop reading.

In fact, with this system I will explain some other things and curiosities, ok?

I repeat this to everyone: Thank you for following me, and thanks for all messages. I promise to answer to all personally when I get back, even if it takes weeks of work!


10 December 2011
23:45 H
No m'havia llegit la resta de comentaris, però queda clar que Catalunya és un pais escatològic, tots ens hem quedat amb el rollo "caga o muere" !
10 December 2011
23:43 H
Ei, gràcies per la dedicatòria !!

Amb aquestes descripcions, quasi quasi que ja m'hi veig, però per sort tinc més seny (o menys collons) i m'estic a caseta ....

Bona sort, i que vagis bé de ventre els dies que et queden !
Bernat Créixams
08 December 2011
16:46 H
Albert, et vaig seguint eh, encara que no tan com voldria... celebro que tot vagi bé, i segueixo admirant la teva constància i perseverància. Tots dos sabem que és així com s'arriba a algun lloc.
Em permeto la llicència d'enviar-te una cadena de conceptes que per a mi són altament motivadors, sobretot en els moments més durs, quan el més important és avançar, encara que sigui a petits passos...
I el més important, que et caracteritza del tot a tu: HATE LOSING.
Aquest esperit guanyador que et fa tirar sempre endavant, és el que et permetrà arribar al Pol. MOLTS ÀNIMS I MOLTA FORÇA!!!
08 December 2011
13:34 H
Anims Albert, ens agrada molt llegir cada dia el teu escrit, i el que mes m'agrada es veure el tros que et queda fins arribar al mig de l'Antartida a traves del google earth

08 December 2011
13:05 H
Albert, gracias por contestar una de las preguntas claves, que me hacia desde hace tiempo...el tema de lo que todos hacemos a primera hora. Ha quedado muy claro...un fuerte abrazo y adelante CAMPEON
Take part! Write your comment
Write the text on the image*:
* Mandatory fields
SOUTH POLE 1911-2011 Powered by: